Visit our Football website at:
RAYMOND JONES MEMORIAL STADIUM
A fateful November afternoon in 1956 ended what could have possibly been a distinguished college football career before it could begin. Raymond Jones was killed November 12, 1956, while he was working on his family's farm in the Poplar Springs community. A malfunction on the tractor which he was driving caused young Mr. Jones to attempt to solve the problem. When he did, the tractor apparently fell on him and killed him.
Raymond Jones was rated as one of the better college prospects in south Georgia, and he had reportedly reached an agreement to play for Florida State University in Tallahassee. At 6'4' and 260 pounds, Jones was a capable young man who also ran track and was a catcher for the Berrien High baseball team.
On September 21, 1957, the athletic field was named in honor of # 48. Berrien won the game that night 18-7 over Jeff Davis in a steady rain, and various activities were planned for the evening, including a special performance by the Berrien High band.
The stadium has gone through numerous changes over the years, but the most drastic occurred in time for the 1976 season. The home side was moved from the east side of the stadium to the west; a new field house and concession stand were built; and concrete bleachers were constructed, including a new press box. In the late 1990s a new lighting system was installed, and in the early 2000s additional restroom facilities were constructed. In 2007 the old wooden bleachers at the south end of the home side that were remnants of a day gone by were replaced with new aluminum bleachers.
--Information from The Nashville Herald and The Valdosta Daily Times.